The 5 day Woodturning Master Class
Many of my previous students have requested a longer course which covers an aspect of woodturning in more detail. So having covered the basics over three days we can move on up the scale of difficulty to stretch a student’s ability and build greater confidence.
The first three days would cover the three basic disciplines of woodturning, spindle turning, faceplate turning and end grain turning. Students can then choose to specialise for the last two days of the course on whatever discipline most appealed to them.
Here is a possible course format for beginners to intermediate.
· Day 1. Spend the morning learning the basics of spindle turning learning how to safely mount the wood and use the tools to acquire your desired shapes, in the afternoon make a milking stool or another project which requires well made spindles.
· Day 2. Get to grip with the basics of bowl turning and make a bowl of around 200mm, some student manage two bowls in the same day.
· Day 3. We move on the end grain turning and make boxes and possibly a goblet in the afternoon if a student has the time.
· Day 4. Make a small hollow form, vase or bottle these can be challenging but by this time students are more confident and skilled.
· Day 5. Students can choose from many possibilities, add another skill like hand cut barley twists, or make larger items, a large salad or fruit bowl, a larger hollow form, boxes with decorative finials, or get to grips with multi centre turning if you really want to stretch your skills.
Here is a possible course format for a turner with confidence and some Prior experience.
· Day 1. Bowl turning, perhaps with the addition of surface decoration.
· Day 2. Turn a platter; these always test the fine turning skills.
· Day 3. Turn a large hollow form with exotic inlays.
· Day 4. Turn a matching pair of goblets or boxes.
· Day 5. Students can choose from many possibilities, add another skill like hand cut barley twists, or make larger items, a large salad or fruit bowl 40cm or larger, a larger hollow form over 30cm high, boxes with decorative finials, or get to grips with multi centre turning if you really want to stretch your skills.
This is just two possible formats if you have basic or advanced skills already and want to stretch your skill set from day one a course designed specifically for you can be arranged. Email Steve or ring for an informal chat to discuss your specific requirements.